Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Disappearance of Belly Button


I know I should have realized this sooner, but I can't see my belly button anymore . . . only when I really try - i.e. pulling up on the top half of the belly which makes Baby's home that much smaller (and boy! does he let me know later :P) - can I see just the tiniest bit of what and where the artist formerly known as "Belly Button" lived. It sounds crazy, I know, but sometimes it's the little things in life that we miss and I certainly miss this one :) It's not quite having a close friend move away, but it's close.

Yes, I'm being silly. But what is a girl to do when baby is running out of room quickly and is not afraid to be very "vocal" about it? (for example, trying to karate chop his way out of my womb with hands, feet or head) or when hip & leg pain prevent sleep? or when he decides that my stomach and all the stuff in the upper half of my body need to be kicked in some way, shape or form until indigestion sets in?

I keep reminding myself that this pregnancy IS such a wonderful & joyful (and it will be at the end when we finally see his face) time in my life which I have waited SO long to experience. I also keep reminding myself that when he is born I will not look at him and think, "you little belly button stealer" but rather "what a precious & beautiful baby boy, so nice to finally meet you and talk to your little face rather than my belly"


If I keep the end in sight, which is only 70-some days away, or if I go into his room and sort his clothes, look at the little t-shirts, etc... then it helps to keep things in perspective. It helps to know that this baby WILL be born, I won't be "pregnant forever" (as a friend told me) and he will be beautiful, no matter how much heartburn he causes, or how much I can't sleep, or how much he does karate within his little world (and it gets little-er with each passing week!).


So long and farewell belly button, I hope to see you sometime in the near future, but for now, I will wave good-bye and look forward to meeting my son.









No comments:

Post a Comment