Friday, January 7, 2011

January Reflections: Homemade

Homemade: Tell us why you like store-bought or homemade things more? Share with us anything that was homemade by you this year?


I absolutely love homemade gifts. They are a reminder of how much my family (and me) are loved.

I do not know how to sew and I can knit, a little, but not very well. So when someone gives me a gift they made themselves, I am always astounded and overjoyed at the love and craftsmanship that went into making the gift.

I am very nostalgic. I have always been this way, to fault I suppose.

For me, it's the remembering that is the best part. Probably because most of my family and friends are far away and the remembering helps ease the ache that feel in my heart.

God has blessed me abundantly with loving friends here in Colorado and some days I'm torn between wanting to be closer to my family and wanting to cultivate the relationships I have made here.

In writing this post, I have been amazed at the homemade love I have received in the past year, mostly for my son, Ashton.

My excitement comes as I think about how I will get to tell him about my dear friend, Kay Friedenstein, knitted him the most beautiful blanket and hat or my other friend, Georganne Klein quilted him a blanket with a turtle on it; that his Grandma Stewart made him a blanket out of his daddy's old t-shirts and how my far-away friend, Katie DeVries made him a burp cloth with his name on it and how his Aunt Sarah made him a wall hanging with his name on it or that his Grandmommy Brammeier had a friend of hers quilt a blanket for him with Beatrix Potter characters on it.


I tear up just thinking about it.

So for me, homemade is a reminder of love.




No comments:

Post a Comment